LORETTO, Pa. — For many Saint Francis University student-athletes, the news of a seismic shift in the school’s athletic future arrived in an unexpected email — some in the middle of class.
Just two weeks after the men’s basketball team’s March Madness appearance — the first in 33 years — the school announced Tuesday its athletic programs would transition from NCAA Division I to Division III, a shift set to take effect beginning with the 2026-27 academic year.
University officials say the move will create a more sustainable future for Saint Francis athletics, prioritizing academics and student well-being. Father Malachi Van Tassell, the school’s president, called the decision a “bold move” to align with the school’s values and long-term success.
“Rather than fighting against the headwinds and logistics that make being a small school in NCAA Division I unsustainable, our Board of Trustees made the bold move to place our students’ academic success and well-being first,” he said in a statement.
On the Loretto campus, reactions ranged from shock to frustration, with some students and coaches blindsided by how the announcement was communicated.
‘Heartbreak for everybody’
“It’s hard because there isn’t just one feeling,” said Trey Baney, a graduate student and track and field athlete. “I’m feeling a lot of heartbreak, not just for myself but for everybody else and especially for the future of Saint Francis.”
Around 10 a.m. Tuesday, coaches were informed of the decision in an athletics meeting with the school’s president. Allegedly, they were told an email would be sent to student-athletes at 11:30 a.m., giving coaches time to communicate with their teams. However, the email went out early — at 11:19 a.m. — before many coaches had the chance to inform their athletes.
Softball coach Beth Krysiak said critical communication missteps added to the frustration. Ms. Krysiak, in her second season with the Red Flash, led Saint Francis to the 2024 Northeast Conference tournament title and NEC regular-season title.
“I was just as shocked as the rest of the Red Flash community,” Ms. Krysiak said. “I wish we had the opportunity to tell our student-athletes first instead of them getting an email just three minutes before our meeting. That’s the toughest part.”
Anna Quackenbush, a sophomore cross country runner, described the initial student reaction as “hysteria.”
“I was pretty shocked, but I had heard rumors about it, so I wasn’t totally surprised,” she said. “At first, everyone was just kind of laughing, like, ‘There’s no way this is happening.’ Then reality set in.”
‘A sense of loss’
J.W. Cunningham, of Canonsburg, a Saint Francis alumnus and golf athlete who found out about the decision through an email blast from the school, said the timing of the announcement — just after Saint Francis’ March Madness appearance — made it even harder to accept.
“I was at the game last week, and it was awesome to be there, see professors, teammates and alumni,” Mr. Cunningham said. “Everyone was proud to be a Red Flash, and it was great to see the school on a national stage. But after the announcement, I felt a sense of loss.”
As the news settled in, many Saint Francis athletes began grappling with their futures. The school will remain in the Northeast Conference for the 2025-26 academic year, and some scholarships will be honored for up to two years after the transition. Still, many students and coaches face difficult choices.
“A lot of people feel like this decision ruined lives — and I honestly think it really did,” Mr. Baney said. “People are trying to transfer, but many schools are telling them it’s too late because their recruiting classes are practically full.”
Many Red Flash athletes have entered the transfer portal. At least three men’s basketball players are in, including Bobby Rosenberger III and leading scorer Riley Parker. On the women’s side, Yanessa Boyd announced via X that she had entered.
Impact on enrollment and reputation
Many in the Saint Francis community are trying to understand what this transition will mean for the university’s reputation, especially as a school where close to half of the student body is involved in athletics.
“Division I athletics is what pulls a majority of students here, even if they’re not coming to compete,” Ms. Quackenbush said. “It’s like, ‘Oh, that’s an interesting thing that the school has.’ So I definitely think it’s going to cause a lot fewer people to be interested in enrolling here.”
Mr. Cunningham said Division I was the main reason he picked the university in 2017.
“Representing the school at the Division I level was memorable, and it made the whole experience more impactful for me,” said Mr. Cunningham, who attended Saint Francis from 2017-22. “This decision is impacting future opportunities for athletes who chose Saint Francis because of its Division I status.”
Despite the controversy, Saint Francis officials maintain the transition will set up the athletic program for long-term success. The university has accepted an invitation to join the Presidents’ Athletic Conference (PAC), which administrators say will allow student-athletes more time to train, study and maintain a balance between academics, athletics and campus life. Plans for facility upgrades, residence hall renovations and expanded recreation spaces have also been announced.
Frustrations voiced at campus forum
On Wednesday, a campus forum was held to address student concerns, but for many, it raised more questions than answers.
Megan Marlin, a Saint Francis water polo team member from Flower Mound, Texas, said the forum was “just disappointing.”
“We went to that forum to ask questions, but none were fully answered because so much is unknown,” she said. “How do you make such an extreme decision that could plummet a university when you don’t have a concrete plan?”
Ms. Marlin also questioned the administration’s communication efforts and future plans for the school.
“They say this is better for the long term, but then they can’t provide anyone with potential projections for the long term,” Ms. Marlin said. “Every business student here would tell you — you don’t make a big decision like this without a five-year projection or a business plan.”
Looking ahead
“Some PAC schools are saying we’ll be a powerhouse, but I honestly don’t think we will be in the next five years,” Mr. Baney said. “A lot of people are transferring, and our top athletes are leaving — as they should.”
As the Red Flash community continues to process the changes ahead, one thing is clear: The decision marks the end of an era for Saint Francis athletics.
“You could feel the shift in morale on campus,” Mr. Baney said. “It’s a tough pill to swallow.”
Ava Dzurenda, a 2024 Post-Gazette reporting intern, is a senior student-athlete at Saint Francis University who competes in cross country and track and field.